HARVARD WINS BASKETBALL.

Princeton Defeated in Good Game by Score of 24 to 9.

The University basketball team won its first game in the intercollegiate series Saturday night by defeating Princeton on the floor of the Hemenway Gymnasium by a score of 24 to 9. The game was very even in the first half, the score standing 10 to 9 at the close of play. In the second half, however, the superior condition and team play of the Harvard five resulted in the addition of 14 points to the Harvard score while Princeton was unable to score at all.

The victory for Harvard was largely due to good team work and the ability of the Harvard guards to assist the forwards in advancing the ball and keeping it in Princeton territory. This team play in the second half showed great improvement over that of the first period. The Harvard players had a tendency to fumble the ball and in their efforts to assist the forwards the guards often left the Princeton forwards uncovered. Had the goal-throwing of the Princeton team been more accurate, poor defensive work might have proved disastrous.

Following is the line-up: HARVARD.  PRINCETON. Hanavan, r.g.  r.g., McCoy. Fosdick, l.g.  l.g., Vanderbilt, Hardenberg Linehan, Randall, c.  c., Bard, Seeley K. Smith, r.f.  r.f., Wrightson. Story, Bigelow, l.f.  l.f., Carter

Score--Harvard, 24; Princeton, 9. Goals--Smith 4, Linehan 2, Hanavan 2, Fosdick 2, Story, Randall, Wrightson 3, Carter. Goal from foul--Wrightson. Referee--Cox of M. I. T. Umpire--Tucker of Boston University. Time--twenty-minute halves.