Pres. Eliot's Talk to Graduate Club.

In an address on "A Day's Work" before the Graduate Club last night, President Eliot outlined the best division of hours for the student and professional man. President Eliot advocated rising at about 6 o'clock, with light exercise, breakfast, and the planning of the day occupying the time until 9 o'clock, when the active work of the day should begin. The hours from 9 to 1 should be used in the most serious tasks, and during this time it is especially essential that the attention be fully concentrated on the work in hand. The hour from 1 to 2 should be taken for luncheon, when a man should endeavor to forget all the engrossing tasks of the morning.

Following the luncheon hour there should be two hours more of work of a lighter nature, and the hours from 4 to 6 should be used for outdoor exercise. This arrangement would leave two hours for dinner and amusement until 8 o'clock, the hours from 8 to 10 being profitably employed in further work. The hour for retiring was named as 10 o'clock. He laid great stress on both regularity of method and simplicity of diet.