LITTLE IMPROVEMENT SHOWN

University Team Continues Weak on Defense.--Second Team Scores.

The practice of the University football squad yesterday afternoon showed little improvement over the poor showing of Saturday. In the short line-up the first succeeded in making two touchdowns, but the defensive work was particularly ineffective and the second had little difficulty, when given the ball on the first's fifteen-yard line, in rushing through for a touchdown.

As in Saturday's game, the weak spot proved to be the three centre positions of the line and here the second repeatedly went through for gains. Marshall and Carrick each lacked aggressiveness in repelling the attack and played too high to be effective.

Considering the bad weather conditions, there was comparatively little fumbling of the ball and the backs usually went into the line hard and fast. Both A. Marshall and Robinson were slightly injured in the practice.

Captain Marshall was on the field in football clothes, but did not play in the line-up.

The line-up: FIRST ELEVEN.  SECOND ELEVEN. Burgess, l.e.  r.e., Shurtleff Parkinson, l.t.  r.t., Lehmann Shea, Robinson, l.g.  r.g., Coburn Carrick, c.  c., Pell A. Marshall, r.g.  l.g., McFadden Knowlton, r.t.  l.t., Bleakie Bowditch, r.e.  l.e., Bartels Noyes, q.b.  q.b., Elkins Nichols, l.h.b.  l.h.b., Randall, Dodge Hurley, r.h.b.  r.h.b., Lindsay, Kent Hanley, f.b.  f.b., Mills, Harrison, Meier