BASEBALL WITH MAINE TODAY

First Game of the Season to be Played on Soldiers Field at 3 o'clock

The University baseball team will play its first game of the season this afternoon with the University of Maine on Soldiers Field at 3 o'clock. As neither team has yet played a game, there is no standard for comparing their strength, but the game last year was close and a hard contest is expected today.

The batting order of the University team will be: Carr, 3b.; Matthews, s.s.; Randall, 1b.; Clarkson, p.; Stillman, c.f.; Skilton, 2b.; Daly, r.f; H. D. Kernan, l.f.; R. D. Kernan, c.

The foul strike rule of the professional leagues, which provides that every foul shall be counted a strike except on the third strike, will not be used in the games at Cambridge; in the games played away from Cambridge the two captains will decide whether or not the rule shall be used.

The University squad has now been on the field for two weeks, and a fairly accurate criticism of the individual players may now be made.

Of the catchers, R. P. Kernan '03 has improved in his general fielding work, although he is still weak in covering wild pitches; he bats poorly. B. K. Stevenson '06 catches well, but is slow in throwing; his comparative inexperience in the position is a material handicap.

W. Clarkson '03 is pitching more strongly than at this time last year, though he has of course not yet reached his highest point of effectiveness. A. Stillman '03 has shown poor form as yet, evidencing comparatively little speed.

At first base, C. W. Randall '05, though weak on low balls, shows a general improvement in his fielding, and has improved also at the bat. E. Fischel '04 is a fair batter, but is slow at fielding. J. D. Clark '03 fields well, but is very weak in batting.

Of the candidates for second base, both E. E. Coolidge 3L. and S. H. Skilton '04 are fast fielders, and the latter has improved in batting since last year.

At shortstop, W. C. Matthews '05 is a strong fielder and fair batter, though ineffective in bunting. T. F. Murphy '04 bats poorly, but fields well.

Of the third basemen, P. Carr '04 is steadier than hitherto in his fielding, but is uncertain at the bat. I. F. Storey '03, through overanxiety, is erratic both in batting and fielding.

Both H. D. Kernan '05 and L. J. Daly '03 cover a good deal of ground in the outfield, but both are weak in batting. H. V. Greenough '05 through slowness and inexperience in the position, covers but little ground. In batting, he fails to use his body in the swing. Both J. s. Lovering '03 and C. C. Bolton '05 are weak batters, and the latter is slow in fielding.

As a whole, the men field well, but have a general tendency to mistime the ball in batting. The bunting is for the most part very weak, and the base-running of the squad as a whole is crude and undeveloped.