BOYLSTON SPEAKING CONTEST.

First Prizes Awarded to S. Thurman '03 and S. A. Welldon '04

At the final trial for the Boylston Prizes in Elocution held in Sanders Theatre last evening the two first prizes were awarded to S. Thurman '03, and S. A. Welldon '04, and second prizes to E. C. Johnson '03, V. A. Tsanoff '04 and J. D. Williams '03.

The speaking was of a very high order, and even better than it has been in recent years. The selections were varied enough to be interesting and to hold the attention of the audience.

Thurman's rendition of the "Defense of Dreyfus" was impassioned and convincing. The extract from "Henry Esmond" by S. A. Welldon was rendered with unusual dramatic force and clearness of enunciation.

Of those who won second prizes, Tsanoff spoke "Ireland's Part in English Achievement" with force and vigor. "An Incident in the Cuban Revolution" by Williams was very impressively rendered, and Johnson's selection. "On Unreservedly Supporting the Party Nominee" was spoken with sincerity and natural feeling.

The judges were: Professor J. H. Wright, chairman; Professor H. S. White '73; Judge F. G. Fessenden '72; Mr. E. H. Abbot '55; Mr. H. W. Putnam '69; Hon. W. C. Loring '72; Mr. W. H. Wade '81; Hon. Robert Grant '73; Hon. Gamaliel Bradford '49; Col. T. W. Higginson '41; Rev. F. N. Tomkins.