Freshman Nine Defeats St. Mark's

The Freshman baseball team defeated St. Mark's at Southboro on Saturday by the score of 15 to 2. Although the Freshmen won by so large a score, their work on the whole was not very encouraging, as the fielding, especially that of the infield, was inaccurate, the baserunning very erratic and the bunting a failure when needed. In the outfield also the men were still slow in starting. At bat, however, there was encouraging improvement, and the throwing was also better. Except for the three bases on balls which he allowed, Burns pitched a fairly good game and showed up well at critical times. St. Mark's playing was marked by inability to bat and by weakness in fielding.

The score by innings:   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  r.  h.  e. Freshmen,  3  1  2  2  0  1  6  0  x  15  12  4 St. Mark's,  2  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  2  5  3

The Freshman baseball nine will play the Dean Academy team at Franklin this afternoon. As Dean has a strong, well developed team the game will probably be the hardest the Freshmen have played this season. Up to the present time the Freshmen have shown rather irregular development, at times playing fast, accurate ball and at other times being careless and slow. Their base-running has in general been characterized by listlessness and a failure to make the most of their opportunities. The batting, though much better the last few days, still shows a tendency to hit the ball into the air and to strike at wide balls. On the whole the throwing has been good.

The teams will line up as follows: FRESHMEN.  DEAN ACADEMY. Bradbury, s.s.  s.s., McGraw Grant, 3b.  c.f., Tatch Leonard, 2b.  3b., Pulsifer Newhall, l.f.  c., Higgins Nichols, 1b.  p., Green Spencer, c.f.  1b., Woodward Quigley, c.  2b., Walker Greenough, r.f.  l.f., Mains Taylor, p.  r.f., Marion