Review of the Advocate.

The most individual bit of writing in the last Advocate is "Undergraduate Criticism," by C. J. Hambleton. The author has something worth while to say, he says it with precision and picturesqueness, and when he has said it, he stops. It is to be hoped that our voluminous undergraduate critics will profit by his example as well as his advice. "When I was a Duke," a story by D. W. Streeter, scarcely smacks of the British nobility, yet it sets forth an amusing situation in Irish language. A good natured, Chinese cook who artistically stabs a man between sips of tea, is well described by W. F. Boericke, under the title of "Wing." "A Sea Change," is interesting on account of its land-lubber usage of yachting terms, and occasionally provokes a smile in spite of its crude treatment. "Mad Antony's Wives," by R. W. Beach, a sad tale of life behind the footlights, shows a good deal of observation. All the elements of the genuine college story are combined in "The Crisis," the sport, the grind and the girl. They meet, act with customary heroism, and we must believe live happily ever afterwards.