CLASS DAY CHANGES.

Class Committee Suggests use of Stadium Instead of Statue Exercises.

Owing to the great number of objections to the Statue exercises it seems advisable to the Class Day Committee to suggest a substitute for them at the Stadium.

The chief objection to the exercises at the Statue is the grave danger of fire, or even the cry of "Fire." It is unnecessary to describe the result of a cigarette or lighted match dropped among the confetti or light gowns of the women. The fire in the wooden, stands at the Princeton game last spring shows the possibility of such an occurence. This and the Iroquois fire are still so fresh in the minds of many people that it would keep them from attending the Statue exercises, and thereby detract from the success of our Class Day. A number of members of the Corporation and the Faculty and some older graduates have expressed the opinion that on account of the possibility of fire, if for no other reason, the continuance of the Statue exercises would be "highly inadvisable."

Furthermore for the past few years classes have grown so large that all those who have wished to attend, and who were entitled to have not been able to get tickets to the Statue. It is generally granted, moreover, that, though pretty, the exercises themselves have always seemed rather aimless and uninteresting.

Very opportunely for the class of 1904 the Stadium is first available this year. It is obvious that the danger from fire would, be eliminated, and the seating capacity satisfactorily increased. By fencing off the semi-circular end an open air theatre seating for 9,000 people can be arranged, whereas only about 3,000 can be accommodated at the Statue. This should not be considered as opening the exercises to the general public, but merely as an opportunity for each Senior to obtain a fair number of tickets.

The following plan is suggested among others as a possible form of exercises to be held at the Stadium in the afternoon. Seniors will assemble in the Yard at 3.30 o'clock for the Tree exercises and cheering of buildings and march to the field. This allows half an hour more than last year for getting to the Stadium. At 4.30 o'clock the exercises at the Stadium will begin. As an innovation and an improvement it is suggested that the Ivy Oration be delivered here instead of at the morning exercises in Sanders Theatre, which are now rather lengthy. After the Ivy Oration the Customary singing and cheering will take place, followed by the throwing of confetti as the Seniors pass out.

It has also been suggested that the old College custom of dancing on the green on Class Day be revived, and that it take place in the Stadium after the exercises.

The chief objections against going to the Stadium are the breaking of old College custom and the distance of the Stadium from the Yard. The first of these objections is more seeming than real for the Statue exercises were a make-shift from the old exercises, and are but six years old, having been started by the class of '98. The second objection may seem more serious to some, but when one considers the ease and readiness with which fellows march to the games it does not appear so objectionable.

A class meeting will be held Friday evening, March 11, to consider this change, and every member of the class is requested to give the matter careful consideration in order that an acceptable conclusion may be arrived at at the meeting. CLASS DAY COMMITTEE.