BARON KANEKO TO LECTURE

Prominent Japanese Statesman to Speak in Sanders Theatre on April 28.

Baron Kentaro Kaneko L.'78, h.'99, one of the foremost statesmen of Japan, will visit the University after the spring recess, and on Thursday evening, April 28, will speak in Sanders Theatre on "The Present Russo-Japanese War."

On the evening of Wednesday, April 27, Baron Kaneko will address the members of the Law School on "The Constitution and Law of Japan," and on Thursday evening at 6 o'clock the Japan Club will give a dinner in his honor in the Assembly Room of the Union.

Baron Kaneko came to this country in the early seventies and graduated from the Law School in 1878. Upon returning to Japan he was made professor of English at the Imperial University of Tokio, and within a year was appointed secretary of the privy council. In the first cabinet organized by Marquis Ito the baron held the portfolio of commerce and agriculture, and when the marquis again became prime minister, he was chosen minister of justice. At the same time the Emperor made him a baron and a life member of the House of Peers. Since then he has been mayor of Tokio until he resigned the office about a year ago. He was one of the farmers of the Japanese constitution, and has been decorated by the Mikado with the Order of the Sacred Treasure, and the Order of The Rising Sun.