HOLY CROSS WON GAME

University Nine Defeated Saturday by Weakness at Bat.--Score 3 to 1.

The University nine was defeated by Holy Cross at Worcester on Saturday in a clean, hard game by the score of 3 to 1. Opportune hitting by Holy Cross and utter inability on the part of the Harvard team to hit the ball account for the defeat.

Spring, the Holy Cross pitcher, allowed only three scattered hits and no bases on balls, and struck out nine men. Coburn, on the other hand, was less steady than in the games of the southern trip and allowed six hits, three of which, including a two base hit, were bunched in the first inning and resulted in two runs. He struck out only two men and gave two bases on balls, one of which resulted in a score. The fielding on both sides, although not errorless, was fast and steady, in spite of the heavy condition of the ground and rain during the first four innings of the game. The Harvard outfielders accepted many chances without an error and covered ground well. In contrast to the fielding, the work of the University team at the bat was wretched. Only two singles and a scratch hit were made, no two of them in the same inning, and only two balls were sent to the outfield. Aside from Marshall's run only one man got to third base and two to second.

Holy Cross began the scoring in the first inning, when Devlin hit the first ball that was pitched to him and reached first base. He went to second on Skelly's sacrifice hit and was brought home by Noonan's two-base hit. Noonan was then advanced to the plate by Hoey's single. In the third inning Marshall made the only score for Harvard. He reached first on Spring's error, went to second on Coburn's sacrifice and to third by a hit by Carr, and scored on McKeon's wild throw to the plate. Hoey made the last run of the game in the sixth inning, going to first on a base on balls, stealing second, and coming in on McKeon's long grounder to right field.

The score: HARVARD.   a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e. Carr, 3b.  4  0  2  1  1  0 Kernan, r.f.  4  0  0  1  1  0 Randall, 1b.  4  0  0  14  0  1 Matthews, s.s.  4  0  1  1  2  1 Clarkson, c.f.  3  0  0  2  0  0 Quigley, c.  3  0  0  2  2  0 Bolton, 2b.  3  0  0  1  2  0 Marshall, l.f.  3  1  0  2  0  0 Coburn, p.  2  0  0  0  3  0   --  --  --  --  --  -- Totals,  30  1  3  24  11  2 HOLY CROSS.   a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e. Devlin, 2b.  4  1  1  1  1  0 Skelly, r.f.  3  0  0  0  0  0 Noonan, c.  4  1  1  10  0  0 Stankard, s.s.  4  0  0  1  3  1 Hoey, l.f.  2  1  1  0  0  0 Flynn, 1b.  3  0  0  12  1  0 McKeon, c.f.  4  0  1  2  0  1 Ennis, 3b.  3  0  1  0  3  0 Spring, p.  3  0  1  1  4  1   --  --  --  --  --  -- Totals,  30  3  6  27  12  3

Innings,  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9Harvard,  0  0  1  0  0  0  0  0  0--1Holy Cross,  2  0  0  0  0  1  0  0  x--