Yale Football Prospects for 1905.

The outlook for a strong football team at Yale next fall is not particularly bright. Of the thirteen men who played against Harvard and Princeton, six will graduate, Captain Hogan, Bloomer, Kinney, Neal, Owsley and Leavenworth, and Rockwell will be ineligible to play, because of the four-year rule. Out of the twelve other men on the regular squad only seven will return, so that it seems likely there will be a decided lack of substitute material. Although the backfield, as it played in the Harvard game, will be absolutely intact, the line will be greatly weakened by the loss of four men, three of whom have played on the team since the freshman year.

The greatest loss will be that of Hogan and Bloomer, whose play this year was the strongest asset of the team. Kineon, who was a good substitute this year, will also graduate. At present the strongest candidate for a line position appears to be Forbes, the former Wesleyan player, who is now a regular member of the sophomore class. His work this year on the college team was very good, and he should be a valuable man next fall as he is heavy, fast and knows the game. As substitutes for Neal and Kinney, Cates and Congdon will return for the ends and Erwin and Gillis for the guard position. Roraback and Tripp will still be in college.

In the backfield there is plenty of material. Besides the four men who played in the Harvard game, Veeder, Stevenson and Wernecken will be eligible for half-backs and Hutchinson for quarterback. Yale should not need to develop punters, as Veeder is the equal of Hoyt in this branch of the game and Wernecken is nearly as good. The lack of weight will be the principal fault with next year's backs, as not one of the seven weighs as much as 170 pounds, and in this way more than in any other, the loss of the ground-gaining ability of Hogan and Bloomer will be most severely felt.