SPIRITED FOOTBALL PRACTICE

University Team Scored, Only Once in a 10-Minute Period.

The University football team only scored on the second team in the scrimmage yesterday afternoon after 10 1-2 minutes of play. Both teams played fast and with snap; and the first eleven's inability to score was due chiefly to the strength of the second team's line.

In the scrimmage Nesmith played a fast game. He ran very well with the ball and was quick in breaking through the line. Brill did some good blocking near the beginning of the period, but Cavenee was able to open the way for substantial gains through him. McDonald did good work at end, but the ends on the second team were inefficient in covering their positions.

In the absence of Head Coach Reid, Captain Hurley directed the preliminary work of the squad. About twenty men, mostly linemen, were given work in tackling the dummy. A large squad of ends ran down the field under punts against opposing ends, and the linemen had have practice in blocking and breaking through. Starr did not take part in the scrimmage but, with Newhall, was given practice in drop kicking under the direction of Coach Daly.

Parker received Cunniff's poor kickoff on the 35-yard line. Channing punted to Snyder who was downed by Brill and McDonald after a three yard run. Bowles tried an end run, but was thrown for a loss by Brill. Failing to gain on the next play the second team was obliged to kick. After an exchange of punts the first eleven recovered the ball on a fumble but was held for downs on the 25-yard line. The second team could not gain and Coach Kernan stepped in to punt. Nesmith broke through and partially blocked the kick, the ball going only about 10 yards. Channing ran 12 yards around left end. Carr made two short gains, although he did not keep his feet well. The second team then held for downs on the 6-yard line. Kernan dropped back to punt, but as Nesmith broke through and would have blocked the kick, he ran around right end for 20 yards. The first team then recovered the ball on downs.

Nesmith circled right end for 20 yards and Channing went around the opposite end to the second's 5-yard line. Somes gained three yards and Nesmith went over for the touchdown, White kicking the goal.

The summary: FIRST TEAM.  SECOND TEAM. Burnham, Pruyn, Lockwood,  le. r.e., Craft Brill, l.t.  r.t., Cavence Parker, Paul, l.g.  r.g., McLeod White, c.  c., Cunniff Kersburg, r.g.  l.g., Brown Fultz, r.t.  l.t., Irving McDonald, Leary, r.e.  l.e., Witherbee Newhall, q.b.  q.b., Sortwell Channing, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Snyder, Miller, Fales Nesmith, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Bowles Carr. Somes, f.b.  f.b., Gerbett