LAST SCRIMMAGE YESTERDAY

First Team Scored Three Times.--Montgomery and Carr in Line-Up.

The University eleven and second team had a 15-minute scrimmage yesterday afternoon, probably the last before the Yale game. If suitable arrangements can be made the team will be taken to some country place near Cambridge tomorrow night.

The preliminary work yesterday again consisted of taking starts, and of punting practice, the backs and ends going down under the kicks. The offensive play in the scrimmage showed improvement, the backs helping each other along better than they have been doing. The defense was not so good at first, but improved as the scrimmage continued. The first eleven scored three touchdowns, and the second succeeded in taking the ball over twice from the 15-yard line, where they were given if four times. The first time they were helped by an offside penalty, and had seven downs in which to gain the first five yards. After this scrimmage the substitutes lined up against the second eleven for a few minutes.

Hurley, Foster, Parker, Brill and Leary did not take part in the scrimmage, but ran through signals. Carr was in the scrimmage and played his usual strong defensive game, besides showing great improvement on the offense. Montgomery was back at tackle and played an aggressive game. Harrison also played well at fullback. Hall was in at quarterback with the substitutes. He formed strong interference for the man with the ball, but his generalship did not show much ability.

The first two touchdowns were scored by straight rushing, and on the second one the first eleven was obliged to make up a 15-yard penalty. Then the second team was given the ball four times on the 15-yard line. The first time it required seven rushes and a penalty for offside to get the ball to the 5-yard line, from where Inches made the touchdown after three rushes. On the next try Inches again made a touchdown. The third time the second was thrown back and after two rushes Wendell secured the ball on a fumble. The last time the ball went to the first eleven on downs, after the second had been thrown back eight yards. The first team then rushed the ball down the field, Montgomery going over, the only check being a penalty for holding.

The substitutes then lined up against the second team and after making one touchdown were given defensive work. They lined up as follows: l.e., Bartels; l.t., Spear; l.g., Peirce; c., Barney; r.g., McFadon; r.t., Fultz; r.e., Pruyn; q.b., Hall; l.h.b., Gilder; r.h.b., Lincoln; f.b., Harrison.

The line-up for the scrimmage: FIRST ELEVEN.  SECOND ELEVEN. Snyder, l.e.  r.e., Burnham, Pruyn Montgomery, l.t.  r.t., Inches Burr, l.g.  r.g., Irving White, c.  c., Horkheimer, Fraser Kersburg, r.g.  l.g., Brown Squires, r.t.  l.t., Gilmore Knowlton, r.e.  l.e., Bartels, Grant Starr, q.b.  q.b., Timmins Leonard, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Heilborn, Harding Wendell, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Myers, Greenebaum Carr, f.b.  f.b., Mason, Jones