Recital of Ibsen's "Peer Gynt."

Mr. Ole Bang gave a recital of scenes from Henrik Ibsen's dramatic poem, "Peer Gynt," last evening in Sanders Theatre. Before the recital Mr. Nikolai Sokoloff, violinist, accompanied by Miss Olga Lycche, rendered two compositions by Grieg, and Miss Olivia Dahl, dressed in native peasant costume, sang folk-songs from Norwegian literature.

Ibsen, Mr. Bang said, is destined to take a place beside Shakespere. His special contribution to literature consists in his unhesitating portrayal of every-day life, and he is the boldest craftsman of modern times. "He walks straight to the truth."

"Peer Gynt," one of Ibsen's early works, displays the characteristics peculiar to his later and more mature dramas. The underlying theme of the poem consists in the obligations which all youth must meet, and the inevitable results of avoiding them.

Mr. Bang recited several of the most effective scenes of "Peer Gynt," and Miss Dahl interpolated with delightful expression the songs of Solveig in the forest. Mr. Bang's rendition was animated and dramatic and engaged the close attention of a large and interested audience.