Prizes Now Open for Competition.

All subjects of essays to be submitted for the prizes in political science, offered by the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, must be left before 5 o'clock today with the Secretary of the Faculty, University 5. Three prizes are open for competition: the Toppan prize of $150, for the best essay on a subject in political science,--open to all students of the Graduate School or of any of the professional schools who have received an academic degree, and to all graduates of Harvard College of not more than three years' standing; the Summer prize of $100, for the best dissertation on a subject connected with the topic of universal peace and the methods by which war may be permanently superseded,--open to all students of the University; and the Bennett prize of $40, for the best essay on some subject of domestic or foreign governmental policy of contemporaneous interest,--open to all members of the Senior class of the College and to special students in the third or fourth year, who have taken courses in political science and English literature.

All manuscripts to be offered for the Bowdoin prizes must be submitted to the Secretary of the Faculty before April 1. The Bowdoin prizes are as follows: a first prize of $250 and two second prizes of $100 each, offered to undergraduates, and three prizes of $200, offered to graduates, for dissertations in English; two prizes of $50 each, offered to undergraduates for translations into Latin and Greek; and a prize of $100, offered to graduates for an original essay in Latin or Greek.

Compositions for the Francis Boott prize of $100, offered to all students in the University for the best composition in concerted vocal music, must be submitted before April 1 to one of the members of the committee in charge of awarding the prize. The committee consists of Professor J. K. Paine, Mr. W. A. Locke, and Mr. A. Foote.