Fogg Museum Report

The annual report of the Fogg Art Museum, issued by the Director, Professor C. H. Moore, enumerates the many important accessions of the past year. From Mr. E. W. Forbes '95 the Museum has received three drawings by J. M. W. Turner; four early Italian tempera paintings on panel,--a Madonna and Child with Angels, attributed to Spinello Aretino; one of the same subject, attributed to Taddeo di Bartolo; an Adoration of the Magi, presumably the work of Cosimo Tura; A. St. Jerome, by Matteo da Siena; and one oil painting, a portrait of a Cardinal, attributed to Scipio Gaetano, a Roman painter of the sixteenth century. In addition to these Mr. Forbes has sent two ancient marble heads, and an ancient Greek marble grave relief. From Mr. James Loeb have been received a collection of fragments of Arretine moulds, including specimens of the ware, and three early Greek tripods. Two of these tripods will be lent for one year to-the Metropolitan Museum of New York.

The print collections have been considerably augmented. To the Gray Collection have been added, by purchase with the income of the Gray Fund, Calvary, a woodcut by Durer; Prophet Jeremiah, a copper-plate engraving of the Baldini-Botticelli series; and a reproduction of the Hypnerotomachia Poliphili of 1499. To the Museum Collection: Rivers of England, 18 prints (engraved in mezzotint after designs by J. M. W. Turner), by J. Bromley, T. Lupton, G. H. Phillips, S. W. Reynolds, W. Say, and C. Turner, a gift from Miss Elizabeth G. Norton; a portfolio of 40 prints, engraved in mezzotint and stipple, facsimiles of engravings by James Ward and William Ward; a portrait of President Eliot, etched by Sidney L. Smith; a portrait of Elias Boudinot, by Waldo and Jewett, engraved by A. D. Durand; a portrait of Sir Leslie Stephen, by G. A. Watts, reproduced in photogravure; etchings by Bartolomineo Pinelli, the gift of Professor C. E. Norton; and two prints of landscapes by an unknown engraver, given by Professor M. H. Morgan.

To the collection of photographs only 96 additions were made during the year. These comprise: Medieval French architecture (including three photographs given by Professor Norton); Etruscan sculpture, Ancient Greek architecture and sculpture, Excavations in Crete, Flemish, Dutch, German, English, and Spanish painting. To the collection of slides there were 185 additions, comprising Medieval Italian and French architecture, Renaissance Italian architecture, Egyptian, Assyrian, Greek, and Roman architecture and sculpture, Ancient painting, Excavations in Crete, Italian, Flemish, Dutch, and German painting. Three slides were given by Professor J. H. Wright.

A dozen or more elaborate catalogues, publications of the British Museum, have been placed in the library. From the Library of Congress the Catalogue of the Gardiner Greene Hubbard Collection of Engravings, and the American Library Association Catalogue, have been received; from Mr. Francis Bullard '86, a Catalogue of a Memorial Exhibition of the Works of James McNeil Whistler, and a Catalogue of the Exhibition of the Liber Studiorum of J. M. W. Turner, held in the Boston Museum of Fine Arts; from the trustees of the Boston Museum of Fine Arts, several Catalogues of Exhibitions held in the Print Department of that Museum. The following books have also been added: Harvard Quinquennial Catalogue; and A Critical Investigation of the so-called Velasquez in the Boston Museum of Fine Arts by Mrs. N. H. Pringsheim.