PROJECT FOR NEW BOYLSTON ST. BRIDGE

On completion of the Longwood rail-road bridge, the project of a new and wider bridge over the Charles river ac Boylston street, Cambridge, will be again considered. During the past few years the present bridge has been several times condemned by the government inspectors and as often patched up to meet the requirements. There has been a long-felt need for a better approach to Soldiers Field from the Cambridge side than the present structure affords, but as the river is still a navigable waterway owing to the few barges and lighters which ply between the one or two remaining wharves at Brighton and various coalyards in the Boston harbor, a stationary bridge over the channel at Boylston bridge would have to have a head room of 25 feet at high tide to fulfil the government requirements. The authorities are in hopes of soon being able to gain control of the wharves at Brighton, thus doing away with the possibility of all trading vessels above Boylston street and making possible a much lower bridge.

Superficial plans for the new bridge were prepared in 1904, when the State Legislature, convinced of the inadequacy of the present draw bridge, and its actual weakness, authorized the cities of Boston and Cambridge to investigate the matter and to proceed with the construction of a new bridge, not to exceed $100,000 in cost, whenever it was deemed advisable. In all probability his improvement will be undertaken jointly by the University, the city of Cambridge and the city of Boston.