ACTIVITY OF FOREIGN SOCIETIES.

The Deutscher Verein deserves to be commended for the active part it has taken in making its members acquainted with prominent guests, and for its success in imparting to the organization a truly German atmosphere. The celebration this evening is indicative of the spirit in which the Verein is conducted. Possibly the unusual activity this year is due to peculiar causes; but whatever the reason, the other foreign societies will do well to follow this plan, and endeavor to be really representative of the countries for which they stand. Our foreign societies are too much inclined to feel free from their responsibilities after the presentation of a stereotyped annual play. We believe that their organization should be much broader, and that the social aspect should be subordinated to the encouragement of study of the literature and language of their country. Baseball games furnish, one side of their activity, but there is the more serious side which is only periodically realized. We hope that the ambition of these societies will turn toward the direction which is the real cause of their foundation.