SUCCESS WITH FORWARD PASS

First Eleven and Substitutes Unable to Score in Scrimmage Yesterday.

The first team substitutes were lined up against the University eleven in the football practice yesterday afternoon for a 22-minute scrimmage. The considerable success which both teams had in working the forward pass was the most encouraging feature of the practice. The playing was hard and fast throughout, but neither team was able to score. The substitutes did all the rushing, and the University eleven kept on the defensive, Burr punting whenever the first team received the ball. G. G. Browne '10 was in the scrimmage yesterday for the first time in several days, and he did some good tackling. He was put back at right end, where he played last season. West injured his shoulder in the scrimmage, and Sprague's knee was hurt. After the first scrimmage the substitutes and the second team lined up for a short period.

Cutler received the kick-off on the 10-yard line and ran the ball back to the 37-yard line. Burr punted to Galatti, who was downed on the 43-yard line. Gray tried a couple of line plays and then punted to Cutler on the first team's 15-yard line. Burr returned the ball to Leslie, who fumbled, McKay recovering the ball. Burr punted again to Galatti, who was thrown by Browne. Gray went through left guard for four yards, Smith made five through left tackle, and Gray carried the ball through the same place for four yards more. Gray then punted out of bounds on the 42-yard line, and Burr punted back to Sprague on the 20-yard line. Sprague returned the ball to Corbett, who fumbled on the 55-yard line. Gray again kicked outside, and Burr's punt went to Galatti on the 40-yard line. Smith went through centre for eight yards, and after two more line plays, Gray punted to Cutler on the 27-yard line. Burr got off a good forward pass to Browne, who ran it twenty yards. Cutler tried another forward pass, which McKay recovered, and the first team punted to Gray on the 45-yard line. Galatti's forward pass to Graydon netted twenty yards, and Smith made three yards at centre, when West was hurt, and the first team was sent in.

The teams lined up in the scrimmage as follows: FIRST ELEVEN.  SUBSTITUTES. Cutting, l.e.  r.e., Harding McKay, l.t.  r.t., Robinson Burr, l.g.  r.g., McGuire Nourse, c.  c., Hadden Hoar, r.g.  l.g., West Fish, r.t.  l.t., Withington Browne, r.e.  l.e., Graydon Cutler, q.b.  q.b., Galatti Corbett, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Smith Forchheimer, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Leslie, Sprague, Jowett White, f.b.  f.b., Gray