TENNIS TOURNAMENT A TIE

Harvard Lost Semi-Finals in Doubles.--Niles Victorious in Singles.

In the semi-finals of the intercollegiate tennis tournament, played yesterday on the courts of the Merion Cricket Club, Philadelphia, Tilden and Thayer of Pennsylvania gained an unexpected and brilliant victory over Niles and Dabney, while the Yale men, Holden and Bundy, defeated Gardner and Dana in a close match. N. W. Niles '09 was victorious over A. S. Dabney '09 in the final round of the singles, so that Harvard gains one of the two possible points towards the possession of the intercollegiate trophy.

Never in the history of the tournaments has there been more brilliant playing than that of yesterday, every set being closely contested. The Pennsylvania team met Yale in the afternoon, darkness finally putting a stop to the playing with the score two sets and six games all. The tie will be played off today.

The summary:

Doubles--Semi-finals: Tilden and Thayer (P.) defeated Niles and Dabney (H.), 9-7, 3-6, 6-3; Holden and Bundy (Y.) defeated Gardner and Dana (H.), 6-4, 9-7. Finals: Tilden and Thayer (P.) tied Holden and Bundy (Y.), 6-2, 5-7, 8-6, 5-7, 6-6.

Singles--Niles (H.) beat Dabney (H.), 7-5, 6-1, 3-6, 6-2.