SCHOLARSHIP REWARDED.

After all the first concern of an institution of learning is to provide intellectual training. There are ways and ways of bringing this about, of course, but the fundamental way on which Harvard University as well as most of the universities of today was founded, is to provide a wholesome and keen enthusiasm for serious mental effort for the sake of the people who enter its doors. Other activities and aspects of the life have their value, largely in proportion to the moderation with which they are practiced, but it remains for the intellectual efforts and ambitions to be the basis for a college's real excuse for existence.

It is often felt that the average undergraduate is too easily satisfied with a fair mediocrity in his scholarship. Conveniently above the grade of failure is a very large space which accounts for the mediocre and indifferent work. Undoubtedly there is too much satisfaction in such work, much more than there should be, but it is well proven that there is less content nowadays to be numbered in that category than twenty years ago and there is more eagerness to be classed among the men who have obtained distinction in their academic work.

The meeting in Sanders Theatre tonight is in recognition of those men who have obtained honor stands in their work. It should emphasize the fact that more men are doing scholarship work each year, including men who are interested in other things as well, and that men are realizing more and more the intimate connection between vigorous intellectual effort in College and the attainment of distinction along this and other lines in later years.