New English Shell Presented

The University boat club has recently received a new English shell, the gift of W. C. Baylies '84. The shell was made by the firm of George Sims & Son, the noted boat-builders, of Putney, England. It is now in the boathouse, and has not yet been tried out. If favorable weather presents itself, the boat will be given a trial this week upon the river. Except for a few minor differences, this boat is built on the same plan as last season's shell, which was also the gift of Mr. Baylies, and built by Sims. After the trial, it will probably be rigged over upon the same lines as the present shell, which was used in the victorious race with Yale last June. The main difference in the appearance of the English shell from those built in this country is in the arrangement of the thwarts, which are placed in two distinct alternating rows. The advantage claimed by this arrangement of the seats is that greater and longer inboard leverage can thus be obtained and a firmer grip made upon the water by the consequent shortening of the outriggers.