TO CURTAIL SCHEDULES.

Again the Faculty has recommended the curtailment of athletic schedules, directing its recommended this time entirely at the Athletic Committee, and phrasing it far more forcefully. The CRIMSON has already taken its stand on this matter, and can only repeat that it is not in sympathy with any material reductions of the athletic programs; that it believes intercollegiate athletic relations are a unifying force, an education, and a necessity; that material reduction in the number of contests without the co-operation of our rivals will not only place us at a hopeless disadvantage, but will be the death-blow to intercollegiate athletics in at least two branches of sport.

Just what results are to be expected from this recommendation it is difficult to prophesy. We have great faith in the efficiency of the Athletic Committee and of Mr. Garcelon to deal with the athletic problem to the satisfaction of all. The Committee knows best just what reforms are needed, and just what reductions are possible without injuring the status of the sport. It has done a great deal to eliminate some of the chief objections to intercollegiate sport, and it will undoubtedly do more. In the end its aim is to be a leader in necessary reform; but such reform is possible only from the inside and by "staying in the game." We must let the Committee decide, and congratulate ourselves that the Faculty has seen fit to leave the ultimate decision in the hands of that efficient body.