AGITATION FOR NEW GYMNASIUM.

In the last week the Bulletin and the Illustrated Magazine have taken up the fight for an adequate gymnasium, and we are beginning to believe that something definite may be accomplished soon. The Bulletin believes that the Corporation should be the first to act and should "appoint a committee of graduates and undergraduates to investigate the question." The Illustrated, armed with plans drawn up by a firm of Boston architects, suggests that the undergraduates, by starting subscriptions, launch a movement that will soon get the support of the graduates. Both ideas are alike in that they demand prompt action on the matter. With this view we heartily agree, for the members of the University have put up with the present antiquated facilities long enough.

As pointed out by Dean Briggs, Mr. Garcelon, and Dr. Sargent, it is exceedingly desirable to have a suitable gymnasium for winter athletics. In that period of the year when out-of-door exercise is at its lowest ebb, many men go without any form of physical activity rather than use the Hemenway Gymnasium,--a state of affairs which must be changed immediately. In the words of the donor of the present building, "the best thing for the College to do would be to construct an entirely new gymnasium to combine the finest features of the best college gymnasiums."

Many things must be decided on by the authorities before any actual work can be begun, but the most important preparation is the collection of the necessary funds. When this is finished it will not take the Corporation long to decide on the situation and the plans for construction.