CRITICISM OF COURSES.

The Illustrated's postal cards to the Senior class calling for opinions on the various courses taken in College furnish one of the rare opportunities given to the undergraduates to criticise their professors. Last year's canvass proved to be extremely interesting and the results obtained were acted on profitably in a few instances. It was shown that many courses which should have been favorites were disliked because of unpopular lecturers. Other more interesting lecturers hand their courses made unpopular by unsuitable assistants for the second meetings. The elementary language courses came in for much criticism, probably because they were compulsory, while elementary courses in subjects outside of a man's general trend and taken merely from curiosity were in many cases voted uninteresting. As a result of the criticism, the lecturers have made sure of their standing with their classes and possibly they have been led to make certain changes for the benefit of the undergraduates. It is hard to estimate the exact effect of the discussion, but it is understood that the reorganization of one course this year was due to it in great part.

This year's canvass should be even more successful than the former one, for we shall be able to have a comparison of the two estimates and see what changes have been made. An opportunity like this should not be allowed to go by unnoticed, and we are glad that the returns so far give promise of even better results than before.