FOOTBALL WORK UNDER WAY

First Game With Bates Tomorrow.--Freshman Practice Begun.

The candidates for the University football team reported to Head-Coach Haughton at Soldiers Field on Monday, September 13. Individual calls had been sent out during the summer, with a result that a squad of 46 men was on hand, the largest number which has ever reported on the first day. The squad has steadily increased and now numbers, 80. The work for the first week was light, though the whole squad was daily given two sessions of practice. Great stress has been laid on those exercises which demand shiftiness and agility, such as dodging and crawling. The first scrimmage was held last Thursday, after a day or two of practice in breaking through for the line and signal practice for the backs. The squad has shown great improvement, every man handles himself well and this week, with the first game with Bates tomorrow, the real week of the season will commence.

Head-Coach Haughton has been fortunate in having a number of graduate coaches to help him. C. D. Daly '01 has been in charge of the quarters and backs. C. Blagden '02, H. H. Green '00. H. E. Kersberg '07, and R. Derby '05 have been drilling the line men; L. H. Leary '06 has had charge of the ends. V. P. Fennard '09, F. Gutting '09, and H. Foster '07 were put in charge of the second team when the squad was divided last week.

Men Prominent in Practice.

At present it is impossible to tell how the University team will be made up, but a slight outline of the leading candidates may be given. There are thirty-one players on the first squad, nine of whom have won their "H." G. G. Browne '10 will undoubtedly hold his position at left end, while F. de H. Houston '10, R. C. Brown '10, F. S. Blanchard '10, and H. A. Rogers '11, seem to be the most likely candidates for the other end. Captain Fish '10 and R. G. McKay '11, who is eligible, will make an extremely formidable pair of tackles, while F. A. Forster '10 is also showing strongly. C. E. Dunlap '11 and G. S. West '10, both guards on last year's team, are likely to hold their positions, though R. T. Fisher '12 is an exceedingly good man. P. Withington '10, who is completing his College course this year, has been moved to centre, and seems to be the favorite over P. D. Smith '11, who has been shifted from the back-field.

Quarterback is, as last year, the position which is the most unsettled and the coaches must develop one from untried material. D. V. O'Flaherty '10 is a heavy and exceedingly fast man and seems to be developing rapidly. S. Galatti '10, substitute quarter last year, and R. B. Wigglesworth '12 are also doing fast work. The back-field is fairly well settled with H. C. Leslie '11 and H. F. Corbett '11, two of the halfbacks on last year's team, and W. M. Minot '11, who was ineligible last fall but played fullback on the second team throughout the season. In addition H. B. Sprague '11, also an "H" man, J. G. B. Perkins '11, T. Frothingham, Jr., '12, of last year's Freshman team, are fast men and show great promise; while G. E. Morrison '12 is a very good fullback.

At present the squad is divided into two parts, A and B. R. M. Page '10 has been appointed captain of the second team for his second year. Squad A is made up as follows: ends--F. S. Blanchard '10, R. C. Brown '10, G. G. Browne '10, F. de H. Houston '10, F. D. Huntington '12, H. A. Rogers '11, L. D. Smith '12; tackles--H. K. Bush '11, H. Fish, Jr., '10, F. A. Foster '10, H. Hooper '10, J. H. Knapp '12, R. G. McKay '11; guards--F. T. Blake '12, C. E. Dunlap '11, R. T. Fisher '12, W. G. O'Hare '11, G. S. West '10; centres--P. D. Smith '11, P. Withington '10; quarterbacks--S. Galatti '10, D. V. O'Flaherty '10, R. B. Wigglesworth '12; backs--H. F. Corbett '11, T. Frothingham, Jr., '12, F. H. Leslie '12, H. C. Leslie '11, W. M. Minot '11, G. E. Morrison '12, J. G. B. Perkins '11, E. P. Pierce, Jr., '12, H. B. Sprague '11.

Yesterday's Scrimmage.

Until yesterday the scrimmages have been short and light. There will be no more morning practice and the scrimmage yesterday was considerably longer, in preparation for the Bates game tomorrow. G. G. Browne, Minot and West have been kept out of the scrimmages on account of slight illnesses, but all will be in condition within a few days.

The scrimmage yesterday was commenced with several kick-offs in order to give the first team an opportunity to run them in; it was the first line-up for a kick-off-this season. The ball alternated between the two teams, with the advantage slightly favoring the first. O'Flaherty ran the University team well, making a brilliant 20-yard run after catching a punt. However, after a 13-minute scrimmage, neither side had scored and the substitutes went in against the second substitutes in a short scrimmage.

The first team as it lined up yesterday will probably, with one or two changes, be the team which will start the game against Bates tomorrow.

The line-ups:

FIRST ELEVEN.  SECOND ELEVEN.F. de H. Houston, l.e.  r.e., Pirnie, BeardMcKay, l.t.  r.t., ParkDunlap, O'Hare, l.g.  r.g., StoweWithington, c.  c., EstabrookR. T. Fisher, r.g.  l.g., W. K. BlodgettFish, r.t.  l.t., CoburnL. D. Smith, r.e.  l.e., P. K. HoustonO'Flaherty, q.b.  q.b., PotterH. C. Leslie, F. H. Leslie, r.h.b.  l.h.b., W. K. PageCorbett, l.h.b.  r.h.b., R. M. PagePerkins, f.b.  f.b., E. S. Blodget