YALE WON BASEBALL SERIES

Batting and Fielding Averages.--Lanigan Captain for Next Season.

The University baseball team of 1909 closed its season by losing the last two games to Yale. After winning, 3 to 2, in the game at Cambridge, the team was shut out at New Haven on Tuesday, June 29, by the score of 4 to 0. The deciding game, played at New Yark on Saturday, July 3, resulted in a victory for Yale, 5 to 2, in ten innings. After playing winning ball for nine innings, the Harvard team went up in the air in the first of the tenth and allowed Yale to score three runs without a hit.

The New Haven Game.

The game at New Haven was a cleancut victory for Yale. Hicks pitched the entire game for Harvard. For the first four innings he was working well; in fact, in the fourth he struck cut three of Yale's best batters in succession. The fifth, however, proved his undoing. A single, an error, another single, and a two-base hit followed in rarid succession, giving Yale three runs. Yale added one more to the score in the seventh by means of a base on balls, a stolen base an error, and a scratch hit. The University team made seven hits off Van Vleck and Merritt, but they were spread over six different innings and produced no results.

The first inning started well. Harvey singled over second base after Lanigan had gone out, pitcher to first. Murphy let the ball get by him and Harvey took an extra base. Currier advanced him to third, but was out at first himself. Simons met the ball squarely only to send it straight into Murphy's hands for the third out. For the next few innings the hits were wasted for either they came too late or the men were out trying to steal second. Lanigan opened the sixth with a clean hit to centre and Harvey's out, Logan to Jefferson, put him on second. Currier, however, hit a liner to Cushman from which a double play at second would have resulted but for the latter's poor head-work. Simons repeated his effort of the first inning by sending a fly to Murphy. After this inning Van Vleck retired from the box and went to right field in place of Corey, while Merritt pitched the three remaining innings. In the eighth, with one down, Hicks drew a pass and went to second on Lanigan's second single. Harvey then hit to the shortstop, who tagged second, retiring Lanigan on a force-out. Hicks made third on the play, however, and as Harvey stole second, a hit meant two runs. Once more nothing happened, as Currier was out on an easy grounder to second.

Yale was unable to make any headway until the fifth, when, with one out, Corey sent up a Texas leaguer back of shortstop. Cushman bunted for a sacrifice and was safe at first on Briggs's error. With men on first and second, Van Vieck hit to left field, scoring Corey and putting. Cushman on second. Philbin then clinched the game by a two-bagger that brought in two runs. Fels and Murphy were unable to maintain the rally and Philbin was left on third. In the seventh Yale scored again. Cushman drew a pass and stole second. Van Vleck followed with a stinging grounder that Briggs smothered, but could not hold. Philbin then made his second hit and Cushman made the final run of the game.

The summary:

HARVARD.  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Lanigan, 3b.  4  0  2  0  2  1Harvey, c.f.  4  0  1  1  0  0Currier, c.  4  0  0  7  1  0Simons, s.s.  4  0  1  1  4  0Aronson, r.f.  4  0  1  0  0  0Dana, l.f.  4  0  1  1  0  0Briggs, 1b.  4  0  1  13  0  2MacLaughlin, 2b.  3  0  0  1  0  0Hicks, p.  2  0  0  0  4  0  --  --  --  --  --  --Totals,  33  0  7  24  11  3YALE.  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Philbin, c.  4  0  2  5  1  0Fels, s.s.  4  0  1  5  3  0Murphy, c.f.  4  0  0  2  0  1Jefferson, 1b.  4  0  0  10  0  0Logan, 3b.  4  0  1  1  1  0Mallory, l.f.  3  0  0  1  0  0Corey, r.f.  1  1  1  1  0  0Merritt, p.  1  0  0  0  0  0Cushman, 2b.  2  2  0  1  3  1Van Vleck, p., r.f.  3  1  1  1  4  0  --  --  --  --  --  --Totals,  30  4  6  27  12