COLUMBIA EASILY DEFEATED

University Hockey Team Won Second Intercollegiate Game, 6 to 0.

In its first game of the intercollegiate series, the University hockey team defeated Columbia last Saturday evening at the St. Nicholas Rink by the score of 5 to 1. The result of the game was never in doubt, for Columbia showed little team-work, and during the entire game made only four attempts to score, all of which were in the second half. The Columbia defense was very strong, especially Murphy, at goal, who stopped many hard shots, thus helping to keep the score down. Owing to lack of practice and the weakness of Columbia, the University team did not show concerted action nor a speedy attack. Ford and Willetts, although on the defense, scored three of the five goals.

In the first half, Columbia made no attempt to score. Ford scored after 40 seconds of play, and Willetts, by a long shot from the middle of the rink, caged the second goal. The last goal of the first half was made by Hicks just before time was called.

After Ford had scored at the beginning of the second half, Columbia showed improvement. Bond, after several attempts, made Columbia's only goal in the middle of the half. Just before the end of the game, Hicks made the last score from a scrimmage in front of the goal.

The summary follows: HARVARD.  COLUMBIA. Gardner, Briggs, Leslie, l.e.  r.e., Lovejoy Hicks l.c.  r.c., Shafer Morgan, r.c.  l.c.,Bond Paine, Hornblower, r.e.  l.e., Kistler, Nathan Ford, c.p.  c.p., Borchardt Willetts, Sampson, p.  p., Barnum Washburn, g.  g., Murphy

Score--Harvard, 5; Columbia, 1. Goals--Ford 2, Hicks, 2, Willetts, Bond. Referee--McKenzie, of New York Hockey Club. Umpire--F. Ellison, of New York Hockey Club. Time--20-minute halves.