Prospects for University Track Team

The prospects for a successful track team this spring appear bright on considering the men who are eligible from the University and Freshman teams of last year. Only four of the fourteen point winners in the intercollegiates and the dual meet with Yale graduated. The ten now in College secured 26 7-10 points in the intercollegiate meet and 41 against Yale. Those that were lost by graduation are W. M. Rand in the hurdles, and R. G. Harwood in the high jump. T. S. Blumer, who won the intercollegiate quarter-mile, and R. P. Pope, who tied for first place in the high jump in both meets, completed their College work in three years.

In the dashes the "H" men available are R. C. Foster '11, intercollegiate champion, and L. Watson '10, who ran fourth in the intercollegiate 220. From last year's Freshman team there are P. C. Cummin '12 and K. S. Billings '12, who won the 100 and 220-yard dashes respectively in the dual meet with the Yale freshmen.

In the low hurdles G. P. Gardner, Jr., '10 will run. Last year Gardner finished second in the event in the Yale and intercollegiate meets. For second string men J. K. Lewis '11, J. P. Long '11, and A. Sweetser '11 seem to be the most likely. Sweetser won the event in the Freshman meet two years ago, but did not run last year. The high hurdlers will probably be developed from these same four men. A. R. Dupont '12 of last year's Freshmen is also a likely man for this event.

In the quarter-mile the team will be especially strong. Three "H" men, E. K. Merrihew '10, F. S. de Selding '10, and H. W. Kelley '11 are eligible to compete. Merrihew won the quarter-mile in the dual meet with Yale last spring in the fastest time of the year, 49 3-5 seconds.

R. W. Boyden '10 is the only point winner in the half-mile in College. Other promising men should be W. H. Fernald '12, captain of last year's Freshman team, G. W. Ryley '10, R. Warren '10, and H. Guild '10.

In the distance events H. Jacques, Jr., '11 will be depended upon to duplicate his performance of last year. Other good men in the mile should be R. F. Hoyt '10, a member of last year's University team and W. H. Lacey '12, who won the Freshman dual race. In the two-mile run, P. R. Withington '12, who finished fourth in the intercollegiate cross-country run, S. B. Warner '12, the winner of the Freshman race, E. L. Viets '11 and H. V. Masten '10, members of former University teams, are likely men.

In the field events the team ought to be strong with the possible exception of the hammer-throw. The only material in this event is R. Douglas '12 and W. M. Parker '12 of last year's Freshman team, and E. H. Ruch '10.

In the other weight event, the shot-put, C. G. Little '10 secured first place in the intercollegiate and dual meets. Other candidates are H. L. Goddard '10 and R. V. Moody '11.

Little also is a point winner in the broad jump, in which he was second in the Yale meet. J. P. Long '11 finished third in the same meet and should de- Nelop this year. Other members of last year's team in this event are T. M. Gregory '10, and A. G. Winward '10.

In the high jump S. C. Lawrence '10 will compete. Last year Lawrence tied for first in the event in the dual and intercollegiate meets. A. D. Barker '11, W. A. Perkins '12 and J. Wheelwright '10 seem promising.

J. L. Barr '10 won his "H" last year in the Yale meet in the pole-vault. In the intercollegiate meet he tied for second This year L. C. Torrey '12, R. Murray '12, and J. A. King '12 will be eligible for the University team