THE TRIANGULAR DEBATE.

The triangular debating system will receive its second trial tonight when the two University teams meet those of Yale and Princeton. This system did not prove very successful last season, as the home teams in each case won the negative side of the question, and it has not yet been accepted as a permanent institution. Its advantages are that it makes less difficult the task of the unenviable second team, because it is unnecessary for the latter to prepare so laboriously the opposite side of the question, and that it gives each first team the practice of meeting the varying attack of two other teams. Furthermore, it gives an opportunity for training more men and very much concentrates the debating season. It entails the necessity of choosing a question having very equally tenable sides, as the debate will otherwise result in a triangular tie, as was the case last year. With the outcome of tonight's debate, it will probably be possible to decide whether or not the system is as good as the old. We wish the University teams good luck in their contests this evening.