FRESHMAN DORMITORY PLANS

Outlined by President Lowell at Sophomore Dinner Last Evening.

At the last of the Sophomore class dinners held yesterday evening in the Assembly Room of the Union, President Lowell discussed the question of Freshman dormitories.

He first spoke on the new spirit of co-operation which has arisen of late years between the student body and the Faculty. In the matter of Freshman dormitories especially, the Faculty needs the co-operation of the students. These dormitories are a new development and are intended to bridge the gap between the regular routine of boarding school and the more unrestrained life of the college. To ordinary incoming Freshmen, the change is too sudden, and many lose their bearings until their Junior or Senior years.

Another great advantage in this system to the average Freshman is the fact that he will see a large number of men at close range and will have the opportunity to pick out those whom he wishes to know without being obliged to rub too closely against those for whom he has no sympathy. It would also have the effect of shortening the time taken in developing the Freshman into the man, by giving him the chance to mix with a great number of his kind. By throwing every one together the new system will give the shy, diffident men a much better chance to come in contact with University life.

President Lowell`s plan is to build four dormitories, each to accommodate about 150 students, and having between them a common dining room and smoking room. In every dormitory the price of suites will vary so that the present difficulty of rich and poor sections will be eliminated. Each dormitory will have its own teams in all branches of sport and these will compete against each other.

President Lowell said that he proposes by shortening the time in which a Freshman is adapting himself to changed conditions, to enable him to take advantage of the various sides of life here, and by throwing him more among his kind to give him the opportunity to do this.