Soccer Team Tied with Springfield

The University association football team played a tie game with the Springfield Training School, at Springfield, Saturday afternoon, the score being 2 to 2.

The game was played on a muddy field, making accurate kicking and passing difficult. In the first half Springfield outplayed the University team and scored two goals, both being made by Warren. In the second half, however, the University team took a decided brace, and tied the score within the last ten minutes of play. The first goal was made by Needham on a long, well placed kick, and the second by Murdoch on a centre-shot from Byng. The University forwards shoed a great improvement in team work, but the backs did not play up to their usual form, partly owing to the absence of Weston, who has been laid up with an injured knee. They frequently overran the ball, failed to clear their kicks well, and allowed themselves to be drawn out of their positions by the opposing forwards. Byng played the most aggressive game for the University team, whereas Warren excelled for Springfield.