UNIVERSITY LECTURES

Every year there are given under the auspices of the University a number of interesting and often inspiring lectures beside those regularly included in the curriculum. Next to the regular work for which a student comes to Harvard these lectures offer perhaps the greatest opportunity for broadening a man's interest in matters that in the final test are worth while. Last year the University was particularly fortunate in the matter of outside lectures owing to the unselfish efforts of the committee of the Faculty who arranged the series on "The Social Problem and its Remedies." The lectures in this series were particularly successful and drew large and appreciative audiences because the speakers were men who were at the heads of their profession in the country and whose reputation in the country and whose reputation was therefore national, and because they spoke on subjects of compelling interest. These lectures must be counted as among the unusual opportunities that a University in Harvard's position is able to offer. It is certainly hoped that under the same auspices or very similar auspices another such interesting series may be arranged this year.