BIG GAME AT NEW HAVEN

Yale and Princeton Meet for Thirty-Sixth Time.--Contest Sure to be Hard-Fought.

The Yale University football team meets Princeton at New Haven this afternoon in the thirty-sixth game between the two universities and the second most important football battle of the year. The fact that Yale is slightly the favorite means little, for Princeton is first and last a fighting team and under the strain of a championship game is likely to do the unexpected. In the Harvard game Princeton showed itself perhaps the best defensive team in the East, and so far this season Yale has uncovered no attack sufficiently powerful to gain through such a defence. Princeton, as well, has been weak offensively, as was proved by its failure to make any headway against Harvard and Dartmouth. A weak offence against a strong defence means a kicking game, and, although Yale has been developing this style of play, the men will find themselves equalled if not excelled by Princeton. De Witt is every bit as good a punter as either Howe or Camp, and moreover the Princeton backs have handled kicks cleanly all season, while the Yale backs have fumbled in nearly every game. In drop and placement kicking Howe and Francis of Yale are better than De Witt, and this fact makes the balance of kicking about even.

Unless, therefore, the offence of one team or the other has developed phenomenally during the past week, the game will probably be decided on ability to follow the ball, and to take advantage of opponents' mistakes.

Following is the probable line-up: YALE.  PRINCETON. Avery, l.e.  r.e., Dunlap Scully, l.t.  r.t., Phillips Francis, l.g.  r.g., Duff Ketcham, c.  c., Bluethenthal McDevitt, r.g.  l.g., Wilson Paul, r.t.  l.t., Hart Bomeisler, r.e.  l.e., White Howe, q.b.  q.b., Pendleton Camp, l.h.b.  r.h.b., De Witt Spalding, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Baker Dunn, f.b.  f.b., Vaughan