Four Play for Spring Production

The Graduate Advisory Committee of the Dramatic Club has selected for the spring production four one-act plays from the 26 manuscripts received: "At State Line," by C. Andrews 1G., holder of the MacDowell Fellowship in Dramatic Composition; "The Scales and the Sword," by F. Bishop 1G.; "Manacles," by H. K. Moderwell '12; "Men are Mortal," by Miss K. McD. Rice, a special student in Radcliffe College.

The scene of the first farce is the office of a hotel in the town of State Line, on the boundary of New Jersey and New York, the state line running through the office of the hotel. As the laws of New York and New Jersey differ on divorce and on the serving of writs, the state line passing through the room causes unexpected and very amusing complications in the relations of James Long, a somewhat quick-tempered young husband; Susan Long, who in a fit of anger has recently arranged a divorce from him in the Dakota courts; their Aunt Sapphira, unexpectedly returned from Tangier, where the Long have supposed the natives killed her; and a sheriff looking for Long to serve a writ for contempt of court.

Miss Rice, author of "Men are Mortal," is well known through the Successful presentation in many places of her farces written specially for amateurs. The dramatically convenient will also figures in this farce. The professor of psychology in a small college has just died leaving a property of some $50,000 to this friend Professor Hilltop provided he can successfully meet a psychological test intended to prove the deceased professor right in the many warm discussions he and his friend have had on the particular subject. The farcical idea Miss Rice works out with much resource and humor.

"Manacles," by H. K. Moderwell '12, is a stirring play of a mill-owner, his daughter and two burglars. It develops swiftly and interestingly to an unconventional climax.

"The Scales and the Sword," by Farnham Bishop, graduate student, is set in a small grocer's shop on the day of a great fire which upsets the social order of a vast city. It is the tragedy of individual blind selfishness and cupidity shattered against relentless martial law.