Opera by F. S. Converse '93 at 8

The first performance of "The Sacrifice," by Frederick Shepherd Converse '93, will be given at the Boston. Opera House this evening at 8 o'clock.

The opera, which is in English, is set in the period just preceding the discovery of gold in Southern California, when the Americans and Mexicans were struggling for possession. Chonita, the daughter of a wealthy Mexican, is loved by the leaders of the rival forces, Captain Burton and Bernal. Burton wins Chonita's affection, and Bernal, in despair, tries to kidnap her, but is killed by her maid. The last scene shows Burton and Chonita together in the old mission.

The part of Chonita will be taken by Miss Alice Nielson. Florencio Constantino is to sing Bernal. Mr. Wallace Goodrich will conduct.

After his graduation Mr. Converse studied for several years at the Akademie der Tonkunstat at Munich. He then returned to Boston, where he became instructor of harmony at the New England Conservatory of Music. He taught for several years at the University, being appointed assistant professor in 1904. In 1907 he gave up teaching and devoted himself solely to composition.

Mr. Converse's work is well known both in the United States and in Europe. Among his more important compositions are: "Endymion's Narrative," "Jeanne d'Arc," and "The Mystic Trumpeter."

Free Tickets to "The Sacrifice."

Through the generosity of F. S. Converse '93, a number of tickets for the performance of his new opera, "The Sacrifice," at the Boston Opera House tonight, have been left with Mr. H. L. Gideon, to be distributed at his discretion among students of the University. They will be given out, one to each applicant, at 47 Bromley Court, Broadway and Prescott street, from 10.30 o'clock this morning until the supply is exhausted.