FIRST MEETING OF CHEMISTS

Association Formed to Advance Chemical Interests of University.

The Alumni Association of Harvard Chemists held its first annual meeting and banquet at Young's Hotel, Boston, last Saturday evening. Mr. J. D. Pennock '93, of Syracuse, presided and Dr. Morris Loeb '83, of New York, acted as toastmaster. President Lowell spoke on general chemical education at the University and discussed plans for its improvement. The proposed group of six chemical laboratories, one of which is already assured, he gave as the greatest need of the Department of Chemistry in the University. Speeches were made by other guests as follows: "Association of Harvard Chemists," J. D. Pennock '83, of the Solvay Process Company, Syracuse, N. Y.; "The Chemistry of the Future," Professor W. D. Bancroft '88, of Cornell University; "Chemistry at Harvard 40 Years Ago," Professor C. E. Monroe '71, of George Washington University; "Description of the Proposed New Laboratories," Professor T. W. Richards '86, of the Harvard Chemistry Department; "The Application of Electricity to Chemical Processes," E. R. Taylor '68, of Penn Yan, N. Y.; "The Service of Chemistry to Medicine," Dr. F. G. Benedict '93, of the Nutrition Laboratory, Boston.

At the business meeting the following officers were elected: president, J. D. Pennock '93; first vice-president, Dr. Morris Loeb '83; second vice-president, Professor C. E. Munroe '71; third vice-president, Professor T. W. Richards '86; secretary-treasurer, Dr. G. P. Baxter '96. The constitution was read and approved, and it was voted to hold a meeting yearly either in Cambridge or in Boston. The object of the association is two-fold: to advance the study of chemistry at the University, and to bring the members of the alumni interested in chemistry together socially.