Humorists, Perhaps, But Not Players

Oh dear, no! Even Gregg with his bipartizan tights and suggestive curves could not stop the heavy-hitting Redlegs. The score of 20 to 1 and two to play, does not represent the real difference between the opposing elevens. When interviewed after the game Umpire Knapp said, raising his bandaged hand to heaven, "Those News-gatherers were infinitely superior. They reminded me for all the world of the Orioles when Anson was in his prime. Oh those days--" Whereupon he relaxed into unconsciousness. Needless to say he was not bothered again, and the man got his job.

In the way of criticism of the players, little can be written that does not savor of either praise or blame. Duncan and Bennett managed to fan 23-2 of all the batters who faced them while Gregg was treated to singles by de Windt and Blackall, doubles by Blackall and de Windt, a triple by lil' Arthur Sweetser, and one smoking, sizzling, home run by Storey. Grinnell alone of the we-were-a-jokes could look a baseball in the face again without blushing.