PENNSYLVANIA DEFEATED

Sexton Pitched Good Game, Being Effective at Critical Moments.

Another of Harvard's now famous ninth inning rallies, coupled with the superb work of Sexton in the box and a few timely favors from Dame Fortune, enabled the University team to bring its string of defeats to an end and triumph string of defeats to an end and triumph over Pennsylvania, 2 to 1.

It was the best game seen on Soldiers Field this year, and the nine deserves a lot of credit for pulling the contest out of the fire in the last turn at bat. Pennsylvania's one run loomed up pretty large, for Imlay was pitching superb ball, but prospects took a brighter turn when Babson laid a shlow one down in front of the plate, and got a life at first as Imlay could not field the ball in time.

Clifford was put in to bat for Desha and came up to the mark with a perfect sacrifice. Potter succumbed to Imlay's fast shoots. Then McLaughlin hit an easy one to Aldendifer, who had been fielding his position faultlessly, but in his anxiety to make a fast play, the later fumbled the ball, allowing McLaughlin to reach first easily. Meanwhile Babson had rounded third and was racing for the plate. Aldendifer's throw was too far to the left of the rubber to allow Cozens to catch the runner and Harvard had the tieing run.

McLaughlin stole second directly and Hann saved the game from going extra innings by a slashing drive to left, bringing in McLaughlin with plenty of time to spare.

The University nine showed that it can give good support to a twirler pitching a steady game, and Sexton was at all times master of the situation. With runners on second and third in the eighth and only one down, the best the Red and Blue batsmen could get was a couple of slow rollers into the hands of the infielders. Besides Sexton fanned six and passed but three men.

Desha gave a fine exhibition in the field, handling with great accuracy a couple of hits that got by Sexton and running far out into left field for a spectacular catch of Toomey's fly in the seventh.

The summary: HARVARD   a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.c.  a.  e. Babson, l.f.  4  1  1  0  0  0 Desha, s.s.  3  0  0  2  4  1 Potter, 2b.  4  0  1  2  3  1 McLaughlin, r.f.  4  1  1  0  0  0 Hann, 1b.  3  0  1  16  0  0 Gibson, 3b.  3  0  0  0  2  0 Babson, l.f.  4  1  1  0  0  0 Wigglesworth, c.f.  3  0  1  1  0  0 Reeves, c.  3  0  1  6  2  0 Sexton, p.  3  0  0  0  5  1 *Clifford.  0  0  0  0  0  0 Totals,  30  2  6  27  16  3 PENNSYLVANIA.   a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.c.  a.  e. Coryell, c.f.  2  0  1  3  0  0 Smith, l.f.  3  0  0  1  0  0 McNabb, 1b.  3  0  0  13  0  0 Donovan, s.s.  4  0  1  0  1  1 Aldendifer, 2b.  3  1  1  0  5  1 Thayer, r.f.  3  0  0  1  0  0 Cozens, c.  4  0  0  7  0  0 Toomey, 3b.  4  0  2  1  2  0 Imlay, p.  2  0  0  0  4  0 Totals,  28  1  5  +26  12  2

Innings,  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 Harvard.  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  2--2 Pennsylvania,  0  1  0  0  0  0  0  0  0--1

Sacrifice hits--Desha, Hann, Clifford, McNabb, Aldendifer, Thayer, Imlay, Stolen bases--Potter, McLaughlin, Double play--Toomey to McNabb. Bases on balls--Off Sexton, 3. Struck out--By Sexton, 6; by Imlay, 7. Umpires--Conroy and Sternberg. Time--2h., 10m.

*Batted for Desha in ninth.

*Two out when winning run was scored.

*Batted for Desha in ninth.

*Two out when winning run was scored.

*Batted for Desha in ninth.

*Two out when winning run was scored.