REAL TEST FOR VARSITY TEAM

BROWN TEAM HEAVIER BY FOUR POUNDS PER MAN WITH MANY VETERANS.

The first test of the University football team's true ability will be seen in the Stadium this afternoon when Brown, averaging 179 pounds to the man to Harvard's 175, and inspired with confidence by a decisive victory over the University of Pennsylvania last week, opposes them there at 3 o'clock. Last year the Providence team also came up flushed with a victory over Pennsylvania, and proved no match for the University eleven, losing 20 to 6. The situation this year, however, is different.

The Harvard line is as yet untried in a really hard contest; and has yet a reputation to make of strength. The men will be opposed to a line out-weighing them a few pounds to the man, and a backfield composed of the hardest kind of line plungers. It will probably fall to them almost entirely to stop the Brown offence, since they have shown little beside the straight ahead game so far this year.

Wendell Will Probably Play.

The Harvard backfield, on the contrary, enter the game, according to previous showing far ahead of their opponents. Captain Wendell has recovered sufficiently from the injury to his head to play at fullback and with Brickley and Hardwick should prove well high impossible to stop, especially on plunges through the left side of the line where Brown has only inexperienced men. With Langdon and Ashbaugh at the ends, Felton and Coolidge will probably find their hands full, as Ashbaugh has always been strong in that position and Langdon played a remarkably hard and fast game against Pennsylvania.

The teams will line up as follows: HARVARD.  BROWN. Felton, l.e.  r.e., Ashbaugh Storer, l.t.  r.t., Kratz Pennock, l.g.  r.g., Gottstein Parmenter, c.  c., Mitchell Trumbull, r.g.  l.g., Kulp Hitchcock, r.t.  l.t., Wade Coolidge, r.e.  l.e., Langdon Bradley, q.b.  q.b., Crowther H. Hardwick, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Bean Brickley, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Tenney Wendell, f.b.  f.b., Henry

Referee--D. Fultz, Brown. Umpire--F. W. Burleigh, Exeter. Linesman--H. G. Davis, Wesleyan. Time--15-minute periods.