FIFTEEN LARGEST COLLEGES

Harvard Ranks Fifth in Total Enrollment of All Departments.

The following table compiled from the registration figures for the year 1912-13 gives the comparative sizes of the first fifteen universities of the country:

The figures are the total for all departments, including both male and female students, and are complete with the exception of the Universities of Pennsylvania and Chicago, which would probably rank well up in the list.

The salient feature of the figures is the steady gain which has taken place among the western universities during the past year. With the exception of Columbia, for which exact registration figures have not yet been secured, all the eastern universities either show a slight loss or else have remained almost stationary. Dartmouth has shown the greatest loss, being smaller this year by over 100 students, while Columbia has made the greatest gain, followed by the University of California. 1.  Columbia,  10,000 2.  University of California,  6,659 3.  University of Michigan,  4,931 4.  Cornell,  4,518 5.  Harvard,  4,187 6.  Northwestern,  4,001 7.  University of Illinois,  3,748 8.  University of Nebraska,  3,596 9.  Syracuse,  3,550 10.  University of Minnesota,  3,448 11.  Yale,  3,232 12.  University of Washington,  2,458 13.  University of Missouri,  2,367 14.  University of Iowa,  2,170 15.  University of Cincinnati,  1,890