ENTHUSIASM AD ABSURDUM.

While the CRIMSON has always encouraged enthusiasm on the part of undergraduates in support of the University teams, it cannot but deplore such an insane demonstration as that which was occasioned by the playing of the Harvard songs in Memorial Hall last Friday night. Though due, doubtless, to the extreme tension preceding the Princeton game, it is nevertheless inexcusable. Enthusiasm should never be allowed wholly to supplant reason; it has its proper place and time when displayed in a proper degree. Gentlemanly and rational conduct is always required of Harvard men, and enthusiasm which is destructive to furniture and productive of riot is not to be tolerated even in support of a winning team. While we expect a great deal of enthusiasm to be shown preceding the remaining football games, we ask that it be kept within the bounds of reason. If there should be a recurrence of such trouble in Memorial Hall, ringleaders should be sought out and summarily punished. However such strict measures should not be necessary, for it is reasonable to expect of every Harvard man only such conduct as becomes a gentleman.