PROSPECTS FOR TRACK TEAM

PARTICULARLY BRIGHT OUTLOOK IN LONG DISTANCE AND HURDLE EVENTS.

Now that the indoor track season is over an idea of the strength of next spring's track team may be secured. The sprinters and distance candidates have had much individual coaching this winter under the direction of Coach Donovan, while the hurdlers and field event men have been working steadily under the direction of Coach Quinn, who has held in the Baseball Cage on Soldiers Field an unusual number of indoor contests in the weight events, jumps and pole-vault. Seven men who won their "H" in the Yale meet at New Haven last spring are now in College, and with these men as a nucleus the coaches are hoping to turn out a much more satisfactory team than that which was so decisively defeated at New Haven last year. These seven men won a total of 19 1-2 of the 48 1-2 points scored against Yale last spring and all look to be sure point-winners in the coming season. Nine point-winners were lost by graduation, these being Foster in the sprints, Kelley and Simons in the quarter-mile. Jaques, Whitman, Everett and Ryan in the distance events, Lewis in the hurdles and Dennis in the high jump. These men won a total of 29 points in the Yale meet last spring, but even with these men out of the running Harvard seems to have somewhat better material than does Yale. The Crimson, as last year, will be weak in the sprints, unless some unexpected material shows up. P. G. M. Austin '13, P. B. Halstead '13, W. B. Adams '13, K. S. Billings '12 R. S. de Gozzaldi '13, and G. N. Hurd '13, at present are the most promising candidates for the 100 and 200-yard dashes, but none of these promises as well as either Thatcher or Rudell of Yale. All of them seem to be of about equal strength and the competition necessary for men to make the team may serve to develop some of them into first-class performers. At present Austin, Halstead, Billings and de Gozzaldi seem to be the best.

Middle Distance Events.

In the quarter-mile Harvard will greatly miss the services of H. W. Kelley '11, who was always a consistent performer. His place will be well filled by W. A. Barron, Jr., '14, however, who although comparatively new to track work has been showing up especially well at the quarter-mile distance. K. Reynolds '14, and F. J. O'Brien '14, may possibly show up strong in this event, although O'Brien may be used in the sprints and should show up well this spring. R. G. Huling '13 is one of the fastest quarter-milers in College. Other possibilities are H. M. Warren '13 and W. H. Fernald '12, although either of these men may be tried in the half-mile. Besides Warren and Fernald in this latter event, there are B. M. Preble '12, the winner of the event in the Harvard-Yale Cambridge-Oxford meet, W. M. Danner '13, and E. D. Smith '13. Preble is easily the best of the half-millers, although much is expected of Smith, who is a consistently good performer. J. R. Abbot '14 and T. W. Koch '14 are other possibilities.

Mile and Two-Mile.

In the mile and two-mile Harvard has a great wealth of material and the competition for places will be a keen one. Captain P. R. Withington '12, should star in the two-mile, although he should he closely pressed by F. W. Copeland '13, a runner who has shown unusual promise in cross-country work and who failed to score in the Yale meet last spring by a fluke, he having stopped running a short distance from the finish line because he thought he had crossed the line. Another very promising man is R. St. B. Boyd '14, the star distance man of last year's Freshman team and a brilliant cross-country runner. Other men of promise are F. H. Blackman '14, S. Nichols '13. C. W. Burrage '13, W. H. Lacey '12, and W. L. Bouve '12, W. M. Tugman '14 may also qualify for the two-mile, although it is probable that he will compete for a place in the mile. For the later event Harvard will have H. P. Lawless '13, a point-winner in the mile and two-mile in the Yale meet last year, and who took fourth in the mile at the intercollegiates' last May. For second honors Koch and Tugman are possibilities, although any one of the men mentioned above as out for the two-mile may be put in the mile. In fact some such transfer is almost sure to be made, as Coach Donovan will be careful not to waste any good material in useless competition, but will place his men in those events which will gain for Harvard the greatest possible number of points from the distance runs. Harvard seems to have a decided advantage over Yale in all of the longer runs, although in the quarter-mile Yale has some strong runners.

Bright Outlook in Hurdles.

In the hurdles, Harvard will have a great advantage over Yale, as the latter has lost by graduation G. A. Chisholm, intercollegiate champion for two years. J. B. Cummings '13, intercollegiate point-winner in the low hurdles, is Harvard's best man and looks good for first against Yale in one or both of the hurdle events this spring. Other performers of sterling ability are T. O. Freeman '14 and A. L. Jackson '14, both of whom started last year on the Freshman team. These three men are good in either of the hurdle events, although the low hurdles are best represented. Another hurdler who has shown up especially well in the 120-yard distance is W. G. Brackett, Jr., '14.

Field Events.

In the field events Harvard has been very poor during the last two or three years, but prospects for this year are somewhat brighter. Of last year's point winners against Yale, F. H. Leslie '12, in the shot, and T. Cable '13, in the hammer-throw, are available and look to be sure point winners this year. Cable has several times beaten the Harvard record in practice and with an added year's experience in his event should be able to do as well in actual competition as in practice. L. D. Howard of last year's Freshman team and R. Douglas, '12 are other candidates. In the shot-put there are besides Leslie, L. D. Howard '14, R. T. P. Storer '14, R. B. Batchelder '13, and P. H. Keays '13. From present appearances Harvard has an even chance in the hammer-throw and a decided advantage in the shot-put over Yale, the latter having three good men in Francis and Cooney in the hammer and Bomeisler in the shot.

As usual Yale should have little difficulty in scoring most of the points in the pole-vault with such men as Captain Gardner, Byers and Wagoner, but Harvard will by no means be entirely out of the running. G. McN, Miller '14 and R. Murray '12, are both good for over eleven feet, and B. Jones '13, and L. C. Torrey '12, are not far behind.

In the high-jump Harvard will have good performers in A. W. Moffat '13, and F. B. Waller '13, who look to be fully as good as Dickinson or Wolcott of Yale. Moffat's work has been decidedly encouraging in the indoor work this season. Other men of promise are A. D. Chandler '14, and N. A. Buckley '12. In the broad jump neither Yale nor Harvard has any stars, Yale's best man being probably Merrit. P. G. M. Austin '13, F. J. O'Brien '14. J. S. King '13, G. N. Phillips '13, H. R. Carey '13, and T. Cable 13, are Harvard's best men.

Team as a Whole.

On the whole, the University team promises to be fairly well-balanced, weak in the sprints, unusually good in the distance events, fair in the field events, and very well represented in the hurdles. Barring injuries the team should stand a good chance against Yale and should pick up a number of points in the intercollegiate meet. The greatest difficulty will be in developing sprinters, broad-jumpers, and pole-vaulters, but if the coaches can find good men for these events, Harvard should be very well represented on the track next spring