Class Debates Deserve Encouragement.

Communication

(We invite all men in the University to submit communications on subjects of timely interest but assume no responsibility for sentiments expressed under this head.)

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

The trials for the interclass debate teams from the three upper classes which will be held tonight, should elicit the interest of all men in the University interested in maintaining Harvard's position in intercollegiate debating. The purpose of the series of interclass debates, which has been inaugurated by the Debating Council, is to establish a system whereby material for the University debate teams will be developed. Heretofore, much of this material has been found in the Law School, already developed by experience in other colleges, and sufficient men from the College to maintain strong teams in the intercollegiate contests have been furnished by the Freshman teams and the regular trials. However, the new ruling of the Debating Council limiting the number of Law men on the University team to two makes it necessary to begin developing material among the classes in a more definite way. This year the series comes late in the year, and after the University debate; but the opportunity to gain experience for next year's contests has been made possible by the inauguration of a short series this Spring. Men from the upper classes are urged to support the action of the Council. THE COMMITTEE ON STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS OF THE STUDENT COUNCIL.