Tutoring Under New System.

Communication

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

The Student Council and the writer of your editorial of May 24 are at fault, I think, both as to the best method of grading men's work, and as to the influence which the change they propose would have on professional tutoring. As, however, my concern here is with tutoring only, and as I have no desire to trespass upon the preserves of the pedagogical theorists, I need say regarding the grading merely that a piece-meal disposal of a course does not seem to me to spell scholarship. Regarding the second point, however, I can deal with facts, and facts with which, after some twenty odd years' experience as a tutor, I may claim to be tolerably well acquainted. As a professional tutor who is not a very ardent believer in "pernicious" tutoring, even as a "necessary evil," I am willing to disregard my own private interests so far as to affirm that the method proposed by the Student Council, and favored by your editorial, would not decrease the amount of tutoring, but would increase it. I could, I believe, outline a method which would speedily drive the mass of professional tutors bag and baggage from the city, but as I am not yet quite ready to retire on my ill-gotten wealth, I shall have to postpone my revelation until a later date. A PROFESSIONAL TUTOR.