TALKS AT BROOKS HOUSE

SUMMARY OF ADDRESSES AT RECEPTION TO NEW MEN LAST EVENING.

The annual reception of the Phillips Brooks House Association to new students was held in Phillips Brooks House last evening. Members of the Faculty addressed the class and several under graduates spoke in behalf of the various College activities. The Glee Club rendered a few selections and the meeting was concluded by singing and refreshments.

Dr. Fitch emphasized the fact than the attention of the University is focused upon the Freshman. Those who are entering the University must preserve their youth and keen minds not only during their stay here but even in later life.

Professor C. T. Copeland urged the new class to begin immediately to take an interest in politics and public life, and read the selection "Discipline" from Kipling.

A. Beane '11, graduate secretary of the Association, spoke of the place of Brooks House in the University. He was followed by E. D. Smith '13, of Chicago, Ill., who advised the wholesome all-around development in preference to the one-sided growth of the grind. Among the other speakers were R. C. Everts '13, of "The Lampoon"; G. N. Phillips '13, of "The CRIMSON"; A. G. Moffat '13, of the musical clubs; and P. L. Wendell '13, captain of the University football team.