Review of Graduates' Magazine

The Harvard Graduates' Magazine for December opens with a critique of the "Letters of Charles Eliot Norton," saying, in part, "The editors of these volumes are to be congratulated on having performed their task so well that they have produced the most important memorial hitherto raised to any man of letters. . . . Only Ticknor's Journal can compete with it in variety of interest."

In an article on "The Harvard Stroke," William A. Bancroft '78 traces the development of the stroke now used by the College crews. He compares the English, the Yale, and the Harvard strokes in their fundamentals. This article comes as a request for General Bancroft to make a permanent record of the typical Harvard stroke, which was developed during his captaincy of the crew 1876-79, and led to victories till then unparalleled.

Two articles that might well be grouped together are "Not Wealth But Ability," by J. D. Phillips '97, and "How Students Pay Their Way," by M. Gray, Jr., '06. The first shows, from carefully compiled statistics, that the leadership in undergraduate life is by no means confined to those whose means are sufficient to put them through without any efforts of self-support on their part. The second article explains the work of the Employment Bureau and the nature of work secured by the student through its aid.

An anonymous article entitled "From a Graduate's Window" tells of the changes in the nature and number of eating dens and lunch counters in the Square since a period in the "old days" that is not definitely fixed in the matter of years.

Unstinting praise is accorded Henry Fitzgilbert Waters '55, who died in August of the present year, in a paper by Edwin H. Abbott '55 and W. R. Thayer '81. Mr. Waters, through his tireless investigation and research into the ancestry and life of John Harvard, earned for himself the title of "The Discoverer of John Harvard."

"The Great Work of the Bussey Institution" is the title of an article by C. Dunham M.'87, chairman of the Overseers' Visiting Committee. Additional recognition is given to the activities of the University in a three-part article on "Harvard's Wide Interests in Medicine." The first concerns the Peter Bent Brigham Hospital, the author being H. A. Christian p.'03. "Tropical Medicine: The Expedition to South America" is by R. P. Strong, and the third, by E. B. Drew '63, is entitled "The Harvard Medical School at Shanghai." The number is completed by a consideration of "What the Boston Harvard Club Means," by O. Roberts '86, and comment on President Lowell's new book, "Public Opinion and Popular Government," by W. B. Munro p.'99.