FRESHMAN CLASS IN ATHLETICS

Forty Men Attended,--Taught to Box, Wrestle, Fence, and Swim.

An average of slightly under forty men attended the Freshman Class in General athletics during the three months of the 1913 season. The class was under the charge of W. F. Garcelon L '95 and Paul Withington. 09.

The purpose of the class, which will be continued next year, is to afford for those men who have no apparent liking for or ability in any particular sport an opportunity for all-round development and a chance to discover just where each man's latent ability lies. This has been effected by dividing the men into four groups of ten members each, two groups in boxing, one in fencing, and the fourth in wrestling. The groups were placed under competent instructors, Mr. Foley and Mr. O'Donnell in boxing, Dr. Leslabaye in fencing and Mr. Anderson and P. Withington '09 in wrestling. A plan of rotation was adopted by which each group was given three week's drill by each instructor. At time a class in general gymnastic was held. During March and April until the spring recess arrangements were made with the Cambridge Y. M. C. A. for the use of their tank one a week, and Mr. Foley gave members of the class swimming lessons. Several men were taught who had never before attempted to swim.

That the class is eminently practical has been proved by the number of men who have been trained until, developing a considerable skill in one of its a branches, they have become able members of minor sport teams