FRESHMEN, 4; ANDOVER, 2

1916 Baseball Team Got Early Lead.--Cunningham Kept Andover's Hits Scattered.

The 1916 baseball team defeated Andover by a score of 4 to 2 on Soldiers Field yesterday afternoon. The Freshmen started their batting in the first inning, when Fripp, the first man up, singled to right and was advanced to second by Heyer. Mahan then hit into what might have been a double play; Heyer was caught at second, but Kinney threw over first base, and Fripp came home, while Mahan took third. Nash flew out to centre. Ervin singled, scoring Mahan; but Coolidge ended the inning by flying out to the infield. The third run was scored in the fifth, when Demelman drove a beautiful three-bagger to the Stadium, and scored on Safford's single. Mahan tallied the final run in the eighth. Cunningham was credited with seven strike-outs, and although he allowed seven hits, two more than the visiting pitcher, he kept them fairly well distributed.

The score by innings: Innings,  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  R.  H.  E. Freshmen,  2  0  0  0  1  0  0  1  x--4  5  1 Andover,  0  0  2  0  0  0  0  0  0-2  7  3