PROGRESS ON BOSTON CLUB

NEW COMMONWEALTH AVENUE BUILDING PROBABLY TO BE COMPLETED IN NOVEMBER.

The new home of the Boston Harvard Club is rapidly approaching completion, the exterior work being almost finished and the interior construction being well under way. It is expected that the building will be ready for occupancy in November, thus rendering it available as a headquarters for Harvard men at the time of the big football games.

The clubhouse, which is situated on Commonwealth avenue just west of Massachusetts avenue, has a 100-foot frontage and extends back towards Newbury street 150 feet. The building is designed after the style of the Georgian period with a facade of brick and limestone and the sides and back of brick.

As one enters the front door, he comes at once into a hall, 19 feet in length, opening onto which are a reading room, coat room and offices. passing through this hall, "Harvard Hall" is reached. This corresponds to the hall of similar name in the New York Harvard Club. It occupies about one-half of the building and will be used for a dining room.

The object of the clubhouse as recently outlined by Odin Roberts '86, is not to furnish a loafing place but a "large animated workshop." The club will perform a very valuable service, being a common centre for Harvard men,--a service which it has until now largely failed to fulfill because of lack of a permanent home. The ambition of the present management is to characterize the appointments and service of the club by academic simplicity. This, it is believed, will stamp the club with a democratic and all-embracing atmosphere which will assure all Harvard men an open door and a hospitable home.